Bob Pinson started collecting records in the 1940s and assembled a collection of 15,000 early country music recordings. In 1971, he offered his collection for purchase by the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum. In 1973, Pinson followed his collection to the museum and began working as the Museum’s director of record acquisitions. Between that time and 1999, when he retired, he amassed a 200,000-disc collection for the Museum’s archive. In 2004, the recorded sound collection was named for its instigator, Bob Pinson. The Bob Pinson Recorded Sound Collection now includes 200,000 recorded cylinders and discs including 98% of all pre-World War II country recordings ever made. It includes the only remaining radio transcription disk of the first network radio broadcast of the Grand Ole Opry from 1939. That recording is one of the first 50 selected by the National Recording Registry of the Library of Congress as culturally, historically, and aesthetically important to life in the United States.